Historic Info

© 2011 Village of Highland Park. All rights reserved.
P.O.Box 168, Lake Wales, FL 33859-0168 | email: clerk@highlandpark-fl.org | call: (863) 455-6518

Contact the Clerk for ordering info.
Lakeside road in 1924.
Lake Amoret 1924.
Original entrance in 1924 wth Bougeonvilla trellis.
Bridge across Duck Pond.
Highland Park Drive in 1924.
Original swimming pavillion in 1924.
House of Calvin H. Hill in 1924 - now Alvacata Apts. Calvin was the VP of the Heywood & Morrill Rattan Company where he worked for 30 years.  He ran their  Chicago based manufacturing plant where they made wicker/reed chairs and baby carriages.
Home of Alfred J. Major in 1924.  Later bacame Azalea apartments. Major was President of the American Bridge Co., a large steel mfr. He served as a liason between the Quaker Community, many of whom he knew from Buck Hill Falls PA, and Highland Park.
Welsh-Cooper-Ingley House in 1925.
Garage with Asalea and Alvacata in the background 1925.
High water at teh swim pavillion in 1925.
Turner home in 1926.  Henry C. Turner founded Turner Construction a leading construction firm in his day.  Over a hundred years later, his company is still at the top and handles a construction volume of about $8 billion a year.  He was rebuilding the the Breakers at the same time he built this home
Kolb-MacCullough-Morrison-B. Updike home in 1926.  Unmarried sisters Sarah and Emma Kolb were from Philadelphia.  They were both in their 50's when they built the house in Highland Park. The family business, the Kolb Bakery, was sold to General Baking Corp (later Gold Bond Bread) in 1911.
Rear view of Alfred Major home - Azalea in 1926.
Ali Baba in 1926.
Murphy-Lane-Bradley-Owings-Ryan-Driscoll-LC Updike home in 1926.  William T. Murphy
Berry-Bates-Huff/Lee home in 1927.
"The Little Blue Home" 
Aschettino-Taylor-Boyd-Donaldson home in 1927.
Burns-Gooch-Lakeview Apartments in 1927.  Constructed by Jay Burns, owner of the Burns Baking Co. and president of the American Bakers' Assoc. 1915-1916.  In 1924 Jay Burns went to the Supreme Court over an issue of Nebraska trying to set standard weights for loaves of bread.
La Casa de Josefina 1927.  La Casa was built by Highland Park's developer Irwin A. Yarnell as a love token to his wife Josephine.  Edward B. Straton was the architect.
Garage of Alvacata in 1927.
Alvacata in 1927.
La Casa de Josefina gates in 1927.
1927 owned by Lawrence  and Mary Ellen Sullivan, Josephine Yarnell’s parents.  Both Lawrence and Mary were children of Irish immigrants.  Lawrence worked for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Co. starting in 1872 at  age 16 as a clerk and messenger.  He worked his way up to comptroller.
Kolb-MacCullough-Morrison-B Updike home in 1927.
Yawger home in 1927.  Yawger was an avid golfer.  Many of his golf scores can be found in the archives of the NY Times.  For 35 years he was VP and Treasurer of the Weston Electrical  Instrument Co. of Newark, NJ—today’s equivalent of being a big wig in the tech industry.
The old dormitory in 1927.
Patio in 1928.
Lake Amoret in 1928.
Birdseye of Highland Park about 1930.
Hoffmann-Connor-Ware-Goldman home 1930.
Highland Park Club about 1930.
Swimmig Pavillion about 1930.
Home of John Townsend Baker in 1930.  Built in 1926 upon his retirement from his self named chemical company.  Baker pioneered the US manufacture of pure chemicals.  He died on the Highland Park golf course in 1935.
Ali Baba in 1937.
The "gossip tree" in 1937.
Patio in 1937.
Golf course in 1937.
Boyd home in 1938.   William Boyd was a VP of Curtis Publishing and sat as a Director for the Victrola Talking Machine Co.  In 1901 he joined the Curtis Co. as a salesman in the Chicago office where he worked his way up and nineteen years later was named VP of the West.
The Chauncey Cottage at Amoret Apartments in 1939.  This cottage is a part of the Amoret Apartments built in 1937, spearheaded by Wilbert J. Austin of Austin Co, builder of industial plants and a large Russian city.
AR Updike-Sorels-Tomkinson home in 1944.  Archibald and Mildred Updike moved into this home in 1944.  In the early 1960's Arch was the largest single citrus grower in the state.  He and Mildred lived in Highland Park for the rest of their lives.
The "elephant ears"